- 8 Tablespoons Vegan "butter" Sticks
- 4 Large Onions -- quartered & thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 Pounds Assorted Wild Mushrooms -- Sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme Leaves -- Chopped
- 5 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 3 Teaspoons Fresh Sage -- Chopped
- 1 1/3 Cups Wild Rice
- 1 1/4 Cups Long-grain Rice
- 1 3/4 Cups Dried Pears or Cherries -- Coarsely chopped
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Italian Parsley -- Chopped
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Italian Parsley for Garnish -- chopped
Melt half of the spread over medium heat. Add the onions and cook while stirring until caramelized. (20 -30 minutes) Transfer the onions to a large bowl.
Melt the remaining spread in the same pot and add the mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of the thyme. Cook until the mushrooms are brown and tender. Add to the onions in the bowl. Season with salt and pepper
In a large (3 -4 quart) deep saucepan bring the broth, 2 teaspoons of sage, 1 tablespoon of thyme to a boil. Add the wild rice and return to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook 30 minutes. Mix in the white rice and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
Add the mushrooms , onions and remaining thyme and sage and dried fruit. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes stirring to prevent sticking. Add the parsley and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9"x13" pan. Add stuffing and cover with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray, greased side on stuffing. Bake until heated through about 30 -40 minutes. (check center temperature with a kitchen thermometer (140 -150 F) Uncover and continue to bake until the top is slightly crisp and golden brown, 15-20 minutes more.
Spinkle with an additional 1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley.
This stuffing can also be stuffed into a turkey if you aren't vegan.