- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup Yellow onion, small diced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic -- minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon Fresh ginger -- grated
- 1 Tablespoon Brandy
- 1 Cup Chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons Light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon Salt, kosher\
- 3 teaspoons Thai red curry paste*
- 2 Cups Pumpkin puree, (NOT pumpkin mix) -- canned
- 1/4 Cup Coconut milk (regular or light) -- canned
- 1/2 Cup Water **
- Optional: 2 teaspoons Toasted pumpkin seeds
Note:* Thai curry pastes have different heat intensities per brand. Start with 1 teaspoon, taste broth, then add to the spice level that suites your tastes.
Assemble all ingredients and equipment.
In a medium saucepan, using medium to medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil to the pan.
Add onion, sauté until soft and translucent (approx. 5 minutes).
Add minced garlic and ginger; sauté until fragrant (approx 1 minute).
Deglazed the pan with brandy, simmer for 30 seconds.
Add chicken broth, sugar, salt and Thai red curry paste. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
Stir pumpkin puree and coconut milk into simmering broth.
Add water (**for a thinner consistency add any additional water in 1/4 cup increments to achieve desired consistency).
Bring to a simmer, then heat for additional 5 minutes on low heat.
Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste.
Optional: for a smoother soup, puree using animmersion mixer or a blender.
Garnish: toasted pumpkin seeds.