- 1 Box (10 Oz) Spinach, Frozen -- chopped
- 3 Ounces Cream Cheese - Regular or Reduced Fat at Room Temperature -- Softened
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese -- Shredded
- 1/2 Teaspoon Basil Leaves - Dried
- 1 Clove Garlic -- Minced
- 1/8 Teaspoon Oregano - Dried
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Chicken & Breading
- 2-3 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Whole Egg - Beaten or 1/4 Cup of Egg Subsitute
- 3/4 Cup Crushed Wheat Crackers
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese -- Shredded
- 1 Teaspoon Basil Leaves - Dried
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Defrost and drain the spinach. Ring dry in towels if necessary
Place the crackers in a plastic bag and crush to a fine crumb.
Place the Chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a flat meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4" thick
Heat oven to 375 F. Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with a cooking spray.
For the Stuffing: In a bowl mix together th spinach, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Basil, garlic, oregano and salt and pepper to taste
For the chicken: Spread about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of spinach stuffing on the pounded chicken breasts and roll up. Secure with toothpicks if needed
Place the cracker crumbs, basil, pepper, parmesan, salt and ground pepper in a shallow bowl and mix together
Beat the egg or place the egg substitute in a bowl
Roll each chicken breast in the egg , followed by the cracker crumbs. Place the toothpicked/ open side down in the baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until center reads 165 F on an instant read thermometer and the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
Serve with pasta or a salad - Remember to remove the toothpicks if used.