For Pasta Sauce
- 1 pound Assorted fresh mushrooms - sliced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 28 ounces San Marzano Tomatoes - canned - undrained
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 14 ounces Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Pesto - Homemade or Store Bought
- 2 Cloves Garlic -- Minced
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano - dried
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained and squeezed dry
- 4 eggs -- mixed
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion dried
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to taste 1/2 -1 teaspoon to taste (fry or microwave a small amount of mix to adjust taste)
Directions for the meatballs:
In a bowl combine the spinach,eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, onions, garlic, salt & pepper and mix well.
Add the ground chicken and gently mix well. Over mixing can cause the meatballs to become rubbery. Check seasoning by mixing and then cooking a small amount either in the microwave or fry pan. Adjust the seasoning if necessary
Form into meatballs using a size 40 scoop or about 1 - 2 inch meatballs. Wetting the scoop or your hands helps form a clean meatball
Place on a shallow tray that has been sprayed with a "pam" type spray. Spray the tops as well.
Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until internal temperature is 150 F. Meatballs will cook further in the sauce.
Directions for the sauce:
Heat a nonstick skillet. Add the oil followed by the mushrooms, saute until tender.
In a non reactive pan mix the tomatoes (If whole break into chunks), paste,sauce and chicken broth together. Add the garlic and oregano and bring to a boil.
Lower the temperature to a simmer and add half of the pesto and let cook 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Add the meatballs and mushrooms and cook until thickened about another 10 -20 minutes. Add the remaining pesto and adjust seasonings.
Serve over pasta, garnished with additional parmesan