- 1 whole Chicken 3 - 4 neck & giblets removed and the chicken spatchcoked / butterfied*
- 1 cup orange juice -- Freshly squeezed
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup lime juice -- Freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice -- Freshly squeezed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano -- finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh ginger -- grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary -- finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika -sweet
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 whole orange -- quartered
- 6 slices orange
* Spatchcocking/butterflying a chicken is easy with kitchen shears. Cut through the bones on either side of the backbone and trim any excess fat or skin.
Flip the chicken and flatten the breastbone with the palm of your hand. Slip your hand between the skin and meat to loosen the skin.
The Marinade - Mix together the juices, oil, herbs, half of the salt, and garlic
The Rub - Mix together the paprika, the remaining salt, and pepper
Place chicken in a glass dish or plastic bag, cover with the marinade. and let sit a minimum of 2 hours up to 24 hours. Use less water if you are doing a short marinade to concentrate the flavors. For a long marinade 8+ hours a little more dilute marinade is necessary so that the acid from the juice doesn't denature the protein in the chicken.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Slip the orange slices under the breast and thigh skin.
Cover the chicken on both sides with the rub.
Place the chicken skin side up on the grill with the thighs and legs pointing toward the hot side. Grill 10 minutes. Flip and so the skin side is down and place a heavy cast iron skillet on the chicken to keep it flat. Grill about 15 minutes until the skin is brown. Remove the weight and flip the chicken. Replace the weight and cook for an additional 10 - 20 minutes until breast meat registers 160 degrees. A total of 35 -45 minutes depending on the grill heat. The grill may be covered to help the even cooking of the chicken.
Rainy Day/Winter option
The chicken can be cooked in the oven at 425 degrees. On a rack over a pan place the chicken skin side up. Roast for 30 minutes and turn the pan and roast for an additional 20 minutes or until the breast meat registers 160 degrees.
No matter how it is cooked, let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.