- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion -- diced small
- 1 teaspoon Garlic -- minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons Dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Fat
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Molasses
- 2 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring - Wrights brand prefered
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper -- Freshly ground
- Hot Sauce - to taste optional
- 2 Pounds Ground Pork
- 3 slices bacon -- cooked crisp and finely choped
- 4 Tablespoons Onions -- chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 2 slices white bread -- crusts removed
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 Rolls - Hamburger or Kaiser
For The Barbecue Sauce
Heat the oil in a non reactive saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook until just browning.
Add the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, liquid smoke,molasses, ground black pepper, brown sugar, mustard, bacon fat, 1 cup of chicken stock . Bring to a boil with stirring
Reduce heat to a simmer - cook for 1 hour. Stirring often to avoid scorching.
Adjust texture -too thick add more chicken broth - too thin continue to cook. If a smooth sauce is desired process the sauce using an emersion blender or blender.
When the sauce is the right consistency adjust for flavor. I like to let the sauce sit overnight before adjusting but more sweetness, heat, vinegar and salt can be added
The sauce can be kept refrigerated for up to 1 month
Cook the bacon - any method - stove top, oven, microwave, until crisp but not over cooked
Chop the cooked bacon fine
Saute the onion and garlic in 1 Tablespoon of oil or bacon fat
Crumble the bread and soak with milk to make a loose paste.
Mix all of the ingredients together and adjust seasonings
Form into 8 patties. Chill until ready to cook.
Cook on the grill or on the stovetop - About 5 minutes a side until center reaches 155 F
Brush the top and bottom of rolls with barbeque sauce. Brush the burgers with the sauce. Serve with cole slaw and fries.