- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 2 whole Shallots
- 5 cloves Garlic -- finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Lemongrass, in the frozen section of Asian Market already finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Five-spice powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or red pepper powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 whole Duck (can substitute with 4 duck breasts or 4 duck legs) -- cleaned & cut into 6 parts (2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 legs)
- 2 cloves Garlic -- finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons Ginger -- finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup White rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Duck fat and jus
- pinch Thai red chili -- finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 8 ounces White cabbage * (green papaya can be substitute for the cabbages, see instruction below) -- 1/8" thick shreds
- 4 ounces Red cabbage -- 1/8" thick shreds
- 4 ounces Carrot -- 1/8" julienne/strips
- 3 tablespoons Cilantro leaves -- chopped
- 1/4 cup Roasted peanuts, unsalted -- crushed
- 3 tablespoons Fried Shallots, available at the Asian market
- to taste Fresh ground black pepper
To make marinade, mix together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the duck pieces and mix well to make sure marinade is completely covering the duck. Cover and let duck marinade 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Heat oven to 325°F. Place duck pieces, fat side down, in a large oven-proof skillet, with the duck piece fitting snuggly in a single layer. Heat duck over medium-high heat until fat starts to render. When there is about 1/4 inch of rendered fat in pan, about 20 minutes, flip duck over to the other side, cover pan with foil, and place in oven.
Roast duck for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until internal meat temperature is 165°F. Let duck cool, pull meat off the bones, and cut into 1/4" strips. Reserve fat and jus for the dressing.
To make dressing, mix together garlic, ginger, sugar, vinegar, duck fat & jus, chili, and salt in a large bowl.
Add cabbages and carrots to the dressing and toss them well.
*Note: To substiute with green papaya, peel and shred 1 medium hard papaya (1/8" julienne). Add 4 ounces carrots and dressing. Toss them well.
Add the duck strips and lightly toss.
To serve, sprinkle cilantro, peanuts, shallots and black pepper on top of salad.