- 2 1/2 pounds Butternut squash, flesh only -- diced
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 3 cups Onions -- chopped
- 3 cups Leeks, white part only -- chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots -- chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Celery -- chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dry white wine
- 3 cups Apple Cider
- 2 quarts Chicken broth or vegetable broth
Bouquet Garni of:
- 7 stem Parsley
- 2 whole Bay leaf
- 15 whole Black peppercorns -- slightly cracked
- 4 whole Star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons Light brown sugar
- to taste Salt
- to taste Black pepper
Roast squash in 425°F oven for 40 minutes or until soft. Let cool, puree and reserve.
Heat oil in a large stock pot and saute onions, leeks, carrots, and celery with ground spices until soft. Add salt, then flour. Stir to distribute the flour.
Bouquet Garni: Place parsley stems, bay leaves, peppercorns, star anise, and thyme in a 6"x6" squared cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine.
Deglaze with wine and cider. Add squash, broth, bouquet garni and sugar; stir and simmer until all ingredients are tender (about 40 minutes).
Remove bouquet garni. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or hand blender. Adjust consistency with additional cider or broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.