- 1 pound fresh okra, very green -- wash and dry
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- to taste red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida (if unavailable, use garlic)
- 1 small onion, yellow -- sliced
- 1 large tomato -- chopped
Cut off the tops of the okra and slit one side to split open being careful not to go all the way through.
Coat the okra with 1 tsp of oil.
Mix the coriander, garam,dry mango,salt, sugar and chili powder.
Stuff mix into the okra.
Place okra in microwave safe bowl, cover, microwave for 5 minutes.
Remove and gently mix and microwave another 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the balance of oil in a pan.
Once hot, add the mustard seeds and heat until they pop.
Add the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.
Add the asafoetida and tumeric.
Add onions and increase heat allowing them to caramelize.
Add salt and remaining stuffing masala.
Mix in the okra and allow to brown a little.
Add tomatoes and allow them to soften.
Serve hot over jasmine rice.