- 1/2 pound Andouille Sausage casing removed -- chopped
- 1/2 cup onions -- chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper -- chopped
- 1/4 cup celery -- chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic -- minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cornbread -- crumbled
- 1 cup stock - low sodium - chicken or vegetable
- 2 pork tenderloins about 1 1/2 lbs each -- cleaned
- 3/4 pound bacon
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Render the andouille sausage, remove from the pan. Saute the onions, green peppers, and celery until cooked thru about 5 - 7 minutes.
Mix the cornbread, sausage, black pepper and vegetables together. Add only enough of the stock to moisten the stuffing. Check the seasoning adjusting for salt and pepper as needed.
Butterfly the pork tenderloins and gently pound to flatten.
Place the tenderloin, cut side up, on six to eight equally spaced stripes of bacon, this will be used to wrap the tenderloin
Season thecut side of the tenderloin with salt & pepper. Place about half of the stuffing down the center of the roast.
Fold over the tenderloin and wrap with the bacon overlapping and crisscrossing to secure the bacon in place and close the roast.
In a heavy skillet, cast iron works great here, brown the bacon wrapped roast starting with the seam side first to seal it.
After the bacon is browned, place the pan, if it will withstand the heat, into the oven or transfer the roasts to a roasting pan.
Roast 20 -30 minutes until an internal temperature of 150F is reached.
Remove the roasts and let rest 10 minutes.
Cut into 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch medallions with bacon attached. Serve with creamy grits and greens.