- 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons Fish sauce, available in the Ethnic aisle or Asian market
- 2 teaspoons Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 9 cloves Garlic -- roughly chopped
- 1 pound Beef filet mignon or other tender cuts -- 3/4" cubes
- 1 medium Shallot -- halved and 1/8" thick sliced
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 2 tablespoons White vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- pinch Salt
- 2 bunches Watercress -- stems removed as much as possible, cut into bite size
- 1 medium Tomato -- cored and sliced 1/8" thick
- 1 teaspoon Dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dark soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
Combine first five ingredients in a medium bowl, add beef and toss to coat meat with sauce. Allow meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add shallot and stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Let marinate for 20 minutes. Drain.
Arrange watercress around inside perimeter of serving plate. Place tomatoes on top of watercress. Set aside.
In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, and lime juice. Heat a large non-stick saute pan or wok over high heat; add oil. Heat 15 seconds until smoke begins to rise from pan. Add beef in an even layer but don't shake yet. Sear beef for about 20 - 30 seconds, shake pan and toss to cook other sides.
Cook beef until somewhat brown, add sauce to cook further, stirring rapidly with a spatula, until sauce coats the meat (about 10 seconds). Remove from heat and transfer beef to center of plate.
Sprinkle pickled shallot on top of beef and serve immediately. This dish can also be accompanied with steamed/cooked rice.