- 3 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 tablespoons Tamarine Juice Concentate
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 ounces Palm Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 3 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Minced Thai Green Chiles or Jalapeno Pepper -- seeded
- 2 tablespoons Minced Cilantro Leaves
- 1/2 pound Fresh Rice Noodles (Banh Pho) in the refrigerated section -- soaked
- 2 quarts Warm Water
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 3 ounces Firm Tofu, lined with paper towels to drain out water -- cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup Chopped Roasted Peanuts -- deep fried
- 1 tablespoon Oil, from deep-frying
- 2 whole Eggs, plus 2 tablespoons milk, season with ground black pepper, couple dashes fish sauce, to taste -- beaten
- 2 tablespoons Oil, from deep-frying
- 3/4 teaspoon Minced Lemongrass, from frozen
- 2 teaspoons Chopped Shallots
- 2 teaspoons Minced Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Cilantro Leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 8 large Shrimps -- peeled, deveined
- 1 1/2 cups Bean Sprouts -- washed, drained
- 1 tablespoon Green Onion/Scallion, for garnish -- julienned
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers -- sliced 1/8" thick
- 1 Wedge LIme
Soak rice noodles in warm water for at least half hour to soften. Reserve.
To make sauce 1: In a small sauce pan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce sauce slightly and set aside to cool.
To make sauce 2: In a non-reactive bowl, combine all ingredients and stir to blend well. Reserve.
Heat oil to 370°F in a medium sauce pan. Deep-fry tofu until crispy and golden (about 2 minutes). Drain in paper towels and set aside to cool. Reserve. Add peanuts in the same oil and fry for 30 seconds. Transfer to paper towels and set aside with tofu. Reserve the oil.
In a wok, transfer and heat 1 tablespoon oil from deep-frying. Cook the beatened eggs over low-medium heat to slightly brown on the outside, fold into half moon and cook until inside is not wet . Tranfer cooked eggs to a clean cutting board. Let cool and cut into thin shredds. Set aside.
In the same wok, add 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil from deep-frying over high heat. Stir-fry lemongrass, shallots, ginger, cilantro, and shrimp for 1 minute or until shrimps change color. Add the softened noodles, 1 cup of bean sprouts, fried tofu, shredded eggs, Sauce 1 and Sauce 2. Continue to stir-fry until noodles become adente and blended with the sauce.
Transfer Pad Thai to serving plate. Top it with the remaining bean sprouts, cilantro, green onions, chopped peanuts and jalapeno peppers.
Garnish with a wedge of lime on the side.