- 1 pound of Salted Cod
- 5 tablespoons of Olive Oil, Spanish Extra Virgin
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- 2 14oz. cans of Butter beans, drained
- 3 14oz. cans of whole stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 14 oz. cans white potatoes, drained
- 1 cup Cabernet Savignon or Red Wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Rinse salt for cod as best you can. Don't be concerned with the smell as this will disappear after soaking. Place cod in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 48 hours changing water 3 times a day.
Toss a little salt over mushrooms in a bowl and hold for 15 minutes.
In a liter thick bottom pot, add olive oil, garlic, onions and bacon. Sauté on medium heat until onions are clear and bacon lightly browned.
Add bay leaves and mushrooms, sauté until brown.
Add tomatoes and stew/simmer for 30 minutes, mixing occasionally.
Meanwhile, rinse off cod and peel skin from flesh. Remove bones and flake or chop the fish into small pieces.
Add fish, beans, parsley and potatoes to pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a little Spanish olive oil drizzled on top.