[ Back to index ]
Recipe of the Month
Grilled Tuna Salad Sandwiches
- 1 pound tuna steaks
- Dill & Chives Chopped Coarsely
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise -- Good Quality or Home Made
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 half Sweet Onion about a 3/4 cup -- finely diced
- 2 ribs celery about 3/4 cup -- finely diced
- 1/4 Teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dill
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Chives -- Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- sweet pickles slices
- potato chips
- 8 sandwich buns -- split
Marinade the tuna in oil, dill & chives for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Remove steaks from the marinade pat off the excess oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness. Medium - Medium Rare works best for the salad. On outdoor grill or a grill pan on the stove can be used.
Let tuna cool and break apart into flakes
Mix mayonnaise, mustard, relish, onion, celery, pepper, dill, chives, lemon juice, salt together. It may seem like a lot of dressing but the tuna will absorb part of it, use less dressing if desired.
Add the tuna by folding it into the dressing until well coated. Let sit for 30 minutes before using.
Assemble the sandwich by placing the tuna salad on the roll topped by the pickle slices and potato chips followed by the bun top. Part of the whole fun of this sandwich is the crunch of the chips and the softness of the salad.
This salad can be made with grilled salmon if desired.