Throughout many parts of the Northern Hemisphere, January brings with it the chill of winter weather but it also brings with it the warmth of National Soup Month! Although we can’t quite seem to get to the bottom of the origin of national soup month, it’s become a beloved time in America to celebrate and recognize one of winter’s favorite global comfort foods: the one and only spoonable, slurpable, shareable soup.
As one of the oldest forms of food, soup has rightfully earned its respect throughout the thousands of years that we’ve been consuming it. It’s a staple in many cultures worldwide and we just adore its versatility and seemingly infinite varieties. Here’s just a short list of soup’s many admirable qualities:
- Plays well with others (namely sandwiches and salads)
- Comforts us when we need it most
- Time-efficiency via the convenience of leave-alone crock pot recipes or instant and microwaveable versions
- Frequently opens the door to regional and ethnic ingredients and introductions
- Resourceful! Makes great use of fridge and cupboard contents that are nearing their life’s end
- Exhibits strong family values and traditions (that legendary chicken soup recipe that’s been passed down for generations)
- And of course (whether real or imagined) its indisputable healing powers
Since National Soup Month is about commemorating soups that span the world, here are some of our favorite new soup products that have launched globally this winter:
Whether it’s clear or creamy, hearty or lite, veggie-based or meat-centric, we hope you celebrate National Soup Month with a pot-full of your favorite broth, bisque or bouillabaisse – and at least one helping of a new-to-you soup find. Happy slurping!